George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

Pontiac GTO: ***** ***** a 1968 pontiac gto with turbo 400 transmission

Customer Question

I have a 1968 pontiac gto with turbo 400 transmission want to put 700r4 transmission the 700r4 that i got is for gm 400 will there be a problem to use the adaptor plate so that it will bolt up to the 400 pontiac engine
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, The 700r4 is a great replacement. Very strong and lets you keep a deep rear gear while reducing RPM at cruise. This is a common swap and with the aftermarket parts available you can trust the adapter plate. Talk to the maker and see what they say, they will be happy to hear from you and to help. You are aware that you will have to change the trans mount and the driveshaft? Please let me know how i can help you with this Thank you