Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Pontiac formula: We just bought a cherry 1997 firebird formula,

Customer Question

We just bought a cherry 1997 firebird formula, however, we got it home and now it runs hot. The shop which we got it from has already changed the thermostat, flushed the rad, and put a new rad cap on it, checked the engine for cracks ect, and checked water pump and senors. They can't find out whats wrong, they had it in the shop for 2 weeks with us driving it home and it over heated again. Help
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
The most common cause of an overheating condition on this engine is either a plugged radiator or a bad water pump. Flushing the system usually will not do the trick if the raiator is plugged. It will need to be replaced.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Another possible cause would be a bad/blown head gasket which can and will cause an overheating condition as well.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
In addition, be sure that the cooling fan or fans are working like they should. It is possible that the radiator fan is simply not coming on causing this overheating condition. This is a simple fix. Either replace the fan or track down why the fan is not getting voltage.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
I am glad I can help! Please dont foget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "excellent service" for assisting you today.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
It has been a pleasure working with you. Regards Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance? Please let me know!
Customer