Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Pontiac Diagnostics
18617752

Pontiac Montana SV6: , I have an 05 pontiac montana sv6

Customer Question

Hello, I have an 05 pontiac montana sv6 with the flickering headlight issue i am reading about now. Last night the radio light went out and lost power several times and came back on. When I got home and parked the van, and shut off the engine, we lost all electrical power. There was no power to the rear sliding doors, lights, locks, nothing. Any idea? Is it the voltage regulator i just read about or could it be something else?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
From what you are describing here, it sounds very much like you have a problem in the Charging System. Sounds like the Alternator may be on it's way out (on this vehicle, the Alternator has the Voltage Regulator built inside. It's not a stand-alone serviceable item. If the regulator is faulty, the Alternator is replaced as a unit). There is a quick easy test for this, with the use of a voltage meter. With the engine running, take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. If the voltage is not between 13.2-14.4v, or fluctuates in and out of this area, the Alternator will need to be replaced. If the Alternator passes this test, turn the engine off and wait 15min. Take another reading at the battery terminals, this time with the engine off. If the voltage is anything less than 12v, the battery may have a "bad cell" and is not accepting the alternator's charge. If you do not have access to a voltage meter, most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will run these tests for Free right in their parking lot. Make sure to also check the battery cables to make sure they are tight, making a good connection and are free of any corrosion at this time. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top right of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept.