Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
19513769

Pontiac Torrent: What is the idle relearn procedure Pontiac

Customer Question

What is the idle relearn procedure for a Pontiac torrent with the 3.4 v-6. When we put it in gear the car will start pulling harder and harder until it starts moving unless you are applying extreme brake pressure.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waitwhen left in Park or Neutral it will not do this ?does the check engine light come on?are there any codes in the computer ?did this problem start out of the blue one day ?was anything done yet to correct this issue or was anything done to it that now you have this issue ?these idles are self relearning and usually after a battery disconnect and a quick road test they self learn
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only happens in Drive or Reverse. No, check engine light stays off. No codes. I bought this from a car lot, started this issue the next day. I don't know of any other repairs or work.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
make sure the MAF in the air cleaner assembly is cleaned out with MAF spray cleaner or Carburetor cleaner and also make sure the air hoe from the air filter to the throttle body is tight and sealing goodif those check out and you find or hear NO vacuum leaks usually this issue can be corrected by cleaning out the throttle body with carb cleaner so its nice and clean and the butter fly is clean and replacing the IAC valve then disconnect the battery for 5 minutes then reconnect the battery and road test the vanwith no codes usually that will correct this kind of issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done all of these, with no changes. I tried changing the throttle body, but no change. I'm running out of ideas.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
i am out of idea's right nowlets see if any other experts have any ideashang on another expert will reply back to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could I have an issue with the PCM?