Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
19513769

Pontiac pontiac: I just installed the rebuilt 3.8l in my 2000

Customer Question

I just installed the rebuilt 3.8l in my 2000 GTP. For the life of me, I cannot remember how many wires go to the hot terminal on the solenoid. There are a few right there. It's a new starter, I have the one from the battery and one that is orange( fusable links,relays?)on the big terminal. There are a couple of black wires there also( grounds?). I got it to turn over without starting to build oil pressure by pulling fuel pump relay and fuse. Reinstall those and now the car goes black(no lights or anything) when I turn the key. What could be the problem? Is the battery bad now or maybe ignition relay, I'm at a loss now.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waithere is a diagram of the wiring at the starterat the power wire stud at the starter it should have the positive battery cable and 1 fusible link at itand you can see how the grounds go to the right of the starter in the picturesee if you wire it that way it will start up for you