FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Pontiac Grand prix: I have an 02' Pontiac Grand Prix a week

Customer Question

I have an 02' Pontiac Grand Prix a week ago car worked fine went on vacation came back today. Put the key in the ignition went to start it and nothing happened. Went to turn the key to the off position and would not let me pull the key for it would not let me fully turn the key to off. Acts like batteries dead but when I place a voltage meter on the battery I'm at 11.9 volts.
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no power to the inside of the car won't let me even open the trunk. When trying to start does not click or chime nothing at all.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. It sounds like you have a short someplace in the system. Since you have a voltage meter I would ask that you tell me what the battery voltage reads when someone tries to crank it. Also, what is the voltage reading at the fuse box terminal under the hood.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok when the voltage was checked they had it on AC not DC. When checked on DC the voltage was at 5 volts. Jump started it and now works fine. Just have to figure out if it's a bad battery or if my daughter left something on before we left.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
It definitely sounded like a bad battery. It threw me for a loop though with the 11.9 volts. More than likely it is just the battery. These cars do not have much of a history of any phantom parasitic drains. If you need any other help please let me know.