FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Pontiac G6: I have a 2006 3.5L Pontiac G6. Battery is not charging.

Customer Question

I have a 2006 3.5L Pontiac G6. Battery is not charging. The car would not start. It would just click, so we used jumper cables to start it but accidentally switched the cables (I know, not good, it smoked a bit). Turns out it had a bad starter. So we replaced it. It turned on and ran fine but the battery light came on. Took the battery to get tested and it had a bad cell so we replaced it and the battery light still came on. Got the Alternator checked (in car) at a local auto parts store and I was told it was bad. So I replaced that too. So now I have a new starter, battery, and alternator and the battery still won't charge. I have read that it may have a "fusible link" somewhere. I don't know a whole lot about cars so I am kind of stuck here. Do you believe it is a fusible link and where is it located (pictures)?
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thanks for the question. You are right that crossing the cables is not good. I have one quick question before you begin. When the engine is running are there any other warning lights and is everything else inside of the vehicle working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other warning lights come on and everything else is working fine.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. The problem is more than likely the fusible link. This provides the main power from the alternator to the main harness. The fusible link is in the large wire between the alternator and the starter. It is typically closer to the starter on this car. It will typically burn out if the alternator shorts or if the car is jumped incorrectly.