FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Pontiac Grand Prix SE: Grand Prix 2006 (Base) Cruise control

Customer Question

Grand Prix 2006 (Base) Cruise control stopped working all the sudden a month ago. One thing i know is if i press the cruise control button really really fast i can get it to blink on and off after about thirty presses or so. All the brake lights work and there are no lights on the dash. I did get a charging system failure message on the DIC a while before I noticed the cruise stopped working, but the message wemt away on its own and i haven't had a problem with that since. I also had to slam the brakes on very hard to the point the abs engaged and the car slid a little just before i noticed the cruise stopped working. not sure if any of that means anything, but maybe it'll help you diagnose. thanks
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. You need to start by making sure that there are no codes in the computer and having the charging system tested. If there are any codes or low voltage then the computer turns off the cruise control. If those are fine then it may be the switch itself which is a common failure. This is especially true since it does what you mentioned when pressing it over and over. Did you plan on fixing this yourself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do plan on fixing it myself, but do not have a scan tool, making it impossible to get codes read. Do you know of any affordable scan tool options that would suffice along with being useful for future diagnostics? Also i did check the voltage of the battery when the car was on and when the car was off. The readings were 12. something volts, and 14 point something volts respectively. Do i need to further investigate the charging system or does that say enough? Thanks for your help.

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
I would say that the charging system should be fine. As for the codes, most auto parts stores will scan the computer for free. If they tell you that there are codes then bring them to me and we can proceed. If they tell you there are no codes then we can use your voltage meter to run some electrical diagnostics.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll go to the part store tomorrow and get the codes read then get back to you. thanks for your help.

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. We can continue from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just got back from the part store and there were no codes. Let me know whats next and we can go from there. Thanks again for your continued assistance.

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting that done. Is the check engine light still off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes its still off

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. So the only thing still occurring is the cruise not working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes thats right

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Were you able top get a voltage meter?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Were you able top get a voltage meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i already had one. Do you think it is the multi function switch? and if so how should I test it to see?

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
It definitely could be. You would need to remove the steering column covers to access it and test it. If you are able to do this let me know and I will walk you through the test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you ever on in the day? That way I can take off the steering cover and then come back on and you can tell me the steps to test it then. I dont want to take the steering cover off one day then talk to you at night and then test the next day. Especially if I have questions about the test when i'm in the middle of it.

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for not being on during the day. The last few days have been difficult for me to be on at certain times. Let me know what time zone you are in and we can arrange to by on at the same time. If not I can opt out and allow someone else to help you if you prefer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

EST Zone. And if you want, why don't you tell me what the steps in testing with the multimeter are. Then I can just do it and use what you tell me as a guide. I'll be out there taking off the the steering column cover on monday probably around mid day. I can come back and tell you my results (or problems if any) and we can go from there. Thanks again.

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. The column cover should be fairly easy for you to remove. Once you do you really are just looking at one wire. The multifunction switch will have a gray wire on it. With the ignition on, test for voltage at that gray wire when you turn the cruise on. If you are not getting any power then make sure that there is power at the pink wire. If there is power there go back to the grey wire and press the switch off and on and see if you get any voltage at all. If not then the switch is bad. If there is a voltage signal then the issue may be in the PCM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

great thanks. I'll get back to you after I test it. thanks for your help.

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. I will look for your response.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it looks like I have one solid grey, 1 solid purple, 1 solid light blue, one solid cream, 1 grey with white line, two black with white lines. so i tested the solid grey positive and grey with white line negative and got voltages from the high beams when pulling the switch toward me, but no voltage when pushing the high beams away (toggle), and also got voltage from regular headlights. Not from foglamps or cruise control. that is the only wire I've tested so far. Are you sure its the grey wire? And if its not make sure you tell me what the negative is as well because i'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to electricity. Thanks again. P.S. The light blue wire may actually be a bluey grey, its kind of hard to tell. Just in case your confused about that.

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Let me double check the schematic. Do you have your VIN number so I can verify some data?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2g2wp552461282951

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Let me take a look at this and I will get right back with you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. I'm away from my PC. I will send over the info tonight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
I read back through your previous post. I just want to confirm that it is indeed only the cruise that is not working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thats right

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
After looking at the VIN you should have a pink and a gray wire coming from the cruise switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Today i found the pink and grey wire behind some black insulation. i cut off some of the insulation and tested the grey wire with no voltage. Then I cut of the pink wires insulation off so I could test it with the test leads on the multimeter and when i tried to start the car the starter cranked for a half second and then the car died. Now the car wont start and nothing will light up, not even the the keyless remote will lock or unlock the doors. Do you think I may have shorted something out, or is this just the infamous lock out feature? and if so can it be fixed without a mechanic or is this a tow in situation? P.S. I've checked out the fuses and don't think it's that, but may have missed something. Thanks

EDIT: I' just noticed that a little red light on top of the dash, right up by the wind shield is on solid that isn't normally on. I've read online this has something to do with the security lockout feature I mentioned above. If you could tell me the procedure to unlock i could finally get back to the cruise testing. Thanks

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
What kind of meter are you using? Is it a digital multi meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it is