Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Rip just purchased a 2002 pontiac montana they said the fuel

Customer Question

rip just purchased a 2002 pontiac montana they said the fuel pump was out i pounded on the tank and was able get get it to run .. now I park it and it will not start is that the fuel filter or the pump
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet.
That is 100% the fuel pump that has failed. Pounding on the tank will not affect the fuel filter, only the fuel pump assembly.
You will need to replace the fuel pump assembly, which will require dropping the fuel tank
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It took a little while but I replaced fuel pump ... and it work great for about 6 start ups ... now it just like before the fuel pump is not working. what is the problem?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
How did the wiring to the fuel pump look?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the old fuel pump and hook up 12 volt to it and it worked .. It does not seem like Im getting any juice back to the fuel pump. Is the gray wire the hot wire? I replaced the relay already.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric if you want you call me at(###) ###-####
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
The grey wire is the positive wire. There should be 12v on it while the key is in the cranking position.
It gets power from the relay, which in turn gets power from both the fuel pump fuse and the powertrain control module
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im going to go out check it right now .. thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No voltage at pump.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, you are checking while someone is cranking the vehicle, correct? just want to make sure.
try wiggling the grey wire and connector while checking voltage while someone turns the key to cranking position to check for a loose wire in the connector or possible short in the wire
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Oh and check to make sure the fuel pump fuse did not blow. it is in the engine compartment fuse box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok the fuse has not blowedf .. no I just turn the key to on .. I go out and have someone crank while but the test light on it..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No voltage while cranking the light never came on.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, pull the relay, use your test light to insert into each cavity where the relay plugs in while someone cranks engine and tell me which ones light up with power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok give me moment .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have 3 across the top and 2 under them X X O X O the O turn the light on.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
just so I make sure I understand.
X X O
X O
The O are the ones with power when cranking
Is this correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, even though the fuse looks good. swap it out with another one and see if you have power at the pump when cranking. You are not getting power from the fuse
The first cavity at top is the prime, which will not have power when cranking.
The second cavity at top is power from the fuse
The third is ground, but will light the test light when cranking
The first on the bottom is out from the relay to the pump - it wont have power with the relay out, so this is expected result
The second on the bottom is signal from the pcm and should have power, which it does
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok just take a few minutes ..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put new fuse in .. crank starter .. jingle wire .. still have no juice back at fuel pump
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, I want to make sure we dont have the antitheft kicked in. Turn the key to the on position-
Does the security light come on and go off within 10-15 seconds
or blink on and off
or stay on as long as key is in the on position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll go check I guess I do not know what Im looking for ..
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
On the dash should be a light that looks like a lock. that is your antitheft security light. It should come on and go off after 10-15 seconds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Their is no suck light on this vehicle that I can find ....
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
possible that yours is a stripped down model without this feature.
If it has it, it will either have a lock symbol that comes on at the instrument cluster along with the other warning lights when the key is turned to on position or say "security" in red when key turned to on position in the instrument cluster.
If your key has a black plastic covering around the top, or a little piece of black on either side, with a small piece of metal like a metal in it the middle of the black piece, it does have antitheft
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I have to go eat some dinner but will be back here in about 30- 40 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
understand completely ... I myself must go an figure out a ride to work tommorrow .. Do you think pcm or wiring problem .. if so a used pcm on e-bay is around $50.00 and wiring problem just would not know where to start .. I assume it to dangerous to remove the reley? well if you can come up with anything just leave me a note and I will try and fix it tommorrow, you have great day and thanks for trying to help me .. I really do appreicate it .... thanks frank
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
It is not the pcm. We have power to the relay from it. That was the earlier test.
Right now as it stands, you have no power from the fuse to the relay. This will be either a melted wire underneath the fusebox or faulty fusebox, possibly at some point in time there was water intrusion into it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So tomorrow I will pull the fuse box Im talking the one under the hood find the lead to that fuse that powers the fuel and use one of the blank ones that get power to make it work .... does this sound right to you ... thanks again
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
correct- the one under the hood. When you remove it, you will be able to see the wires going to the fuel pump fuse and from the fuel pump fuse to the relay. You will need to check it from melting, breaks, cuts, and replace it if found. If ok, then you will need to trace the other wire going to the fuel pump fuse and replace if any cuts, breaks, or melting found.
If ok, then there is an internal issue in the fuse box
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks