Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Pontiac Grand Prix GTP: I have a 1997 Pontiac grand Prix gtp

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Pontiac grand Prix gtp my fuel pump comes on I start my car and still hear the fuel pump running when my car starts it will idle when I give it gas it dies. Any idea why the fuel pump keeps running when it should stop? Is my fuel pump bad? Just had my car towed home today since it runs but dies when you give it gas. Have not had any problems until today.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Clayso replied 2 years ago.
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience and I'm here to help with this problem. Additional services may be offered for detailed information.
When the ignition switch is turned ON, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will turn ON the fuel pump. The fuel pump will remain ON as long as the engine is cranking or running. From your description I would say the pump is failing. When pumps begin to fail they can make more noise than normal, kind of like straining to keep the pressure at specification. When you accelerate the vehicle the fuel demand increases and in your case when the pump cannot keep up with the demand the vehicle stalls out.
The fuel pressure can be checked at the fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail beside the fuel pressure regulator. Fuel pressure specification is 48 - 55 psi. Fuel pressure at say 35 psi the engine may idle all day long, but off idle, in gear under acceleration the engine would basically run out of fuel. Have the fuel pressure checked and replace the fuel pump if the pressure is not within specification.
I hope this information is helpful to you.
Should you have any questions please let me know.
Thanks so much.
Expert:  Clayso replied 2 years ago.
Hi There,
You last viewed this thread on June 13th, and I hope the information I gave was helpful. Let me know if you have followed through with my recommendations. If you have any questions, please let me know.
Thanks.