Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

GM pontiac grand prix: I just replaced my lock and tumbler

Customer Question

I just replaced my lock and tumbler on my 2003 pontiac grand prix. It went smoothly and I began learning the new key by turning it on for 10 min, then off (3x) after the first 10 minutes I went to turn it off and realized that the key will not rotate backwards. It is stuck in either on, or crank. I tried removing this new lock using the same method that I used for the old one and it only pulls out about half and inch, and then is stuck. What went wrong and how do I fix it? Thanks
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
From what you have described here either the cylinder tumbler cover has come loose and the tumblers have jammed up in the cylinder housing itself or the battery is weak or dead as this can cause failure to remove the key or turn all the way off in some cases.
Check the battery first to make sure this isn't a low voltage issue and if this is all found to be o.k. I suspect the tumblers have come loose in the lock cylinder.In this case with it being jammed in some cases you can spray some dry graphite lubricant into the lock cylinder itself and work the key in it to see if it will free up then remove it and repair as needed and in other cases a lock smith may need to come out and use their tools to free it up to then repair it.
Worse case scenario when this occurs the lock cylinder housing and cylinder need replaced if it cannot be removed and repaired.This in some cases requires drilling out the housing area of the current lock cylinder for removal.
Thanks Pete