FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Pontiac G6 GT: . My cars theft detterant lock light turned

Customer Question

Hi. My cars theft detterant lock light turned on and then the car turned off while I was driving. Stuck and it wont turn back on.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Can you tell me what the car does not when you try starting it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
absolutely nothing!
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Will the key still turn in the ignition?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had to get car towed.The key turns physically, but nothing happens. No sound. No attempting to start. Seems the whole system was shutdown.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back with me. I am sorry that you had to have it towed. It sounds like you have a failed ignition switch. It may be a battery also, but the ignition switch is very common on this car. If you have questions about what the shop tells you please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not the battery, and not the ignition switch. It has to do with the theft deterrant system. Still can't get it to start. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
The theft deterrent system on this car only shuts down the fuel system so if that was the issue the engine would still crank. The only way that the theft deterrent would cause this would be if the body control module that controls this system has failed. You can try resetting the security system but most of the time that will not solve it if it will not start at all. Do anyof the other dash lights turn on too?