Chris (aka- Moose), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Pontiac G6: My 2006 Pontiac G6 V6 sounds like a muscle car

Customer Question

My 2006 Pontiac G6 V6 sounds like a muscle car on startup. It was fine a month ago, but this just started. We don't drive the car often as it is one that we were going to give our daughter when she gets her license. It doesn't feel like it's running rough, but it's just loud especially toward the front. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.

I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.

Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.

I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.

If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I still need you to answer the question I asked

Hi

Is it loud from the exhaust or the engine?

Is the idle to high or remain high on startup?

How long does it last?

I suspect a broken baffle in the exhaust that swells once warmed up and decreases the noise level.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It sounds like it's from the engine. You start the car, it then revs up like its getting gas, but the sound is like a race car. It sounds like a hole in the muffler, but it's coming from the front. It hasn't been driven in a month, but when it was, the engine was nice and quiet. Now it's very loud and doesn't stops. I also noticed a bad odor after starting it.

Thanks for the update. Can you check for black soot around the exhaust manifolds bolts, studs, mating surfaces, welds to see if there is a leak.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where would I check for that? Sorry, I'm not mechanically inclined. :-)

All around the exhaust manifold where they are attached to the heads. Open the file below for an image.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/exhaut.png