Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech. Expert Witness.
7183013

Pontiac Grand Prix GTP: My 2000 GTP Grand Prix starts and idols

Customer Question

My 2000 GTP Grand Prix starts and idols for 2 seconds then shuts off. Even if I wide open throttle it bounces around at 3-4k RPMs then turns off in a couple seconds. I drove it last night for about an hour with no problems. It has a new alternator and battery. It has a service engine soon light. Thanks for your time. I hope it's an IAC
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, let's try to relearn the security system because I think it's forgot your key. If you have a second key try it first but if not here is how to relearn the system.
1. Make sure the battery is in good condition and is fully charged, because this procedure takes about 30-35 minutes.
2. Turn the key briefly to the crank position. As the engine starts/stalls, release the key to the "ON" Position for 10-12 minutes.
3. At the end of the time period,(security light should go off) turn the key to the "OFF" position for 15 seconds.
4. Repeat this exact procedure an additional two times.
5. The engine will normally start and run on the 4th cycle
Note that it may start and run on one of the earlier key cycles, that's fine. If it won't relearn you may have to get a key made and the do this procedure again.