Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Pontiac Firebird Formula 350: I have an 89 formula firebird

Customer Question

I have an 89 formula firebird won't crank and no fuel pump sound..just installed new battery...car set for 2 months battery died and it hasn't startedcsince....it has a carabine aftermarket alarm that seems to be working
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your Pontiac problem.
Does the starter engage when turning the key to Start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No click at all.....temp goes to full and drops..... service engine, brake and seat belt lights come on in dash
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Does your ignition key have a chip in it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes....I tried 2 different keys cleaned contacts on keys and inside cylinder....car has 77000 original garage kept..no corrosion
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
This problem is often due to a break in the wires coming off the ignition lock cylinder. Go under the dash and find the wiring coming out of the steering column. You should see a pair of thin White wires encased in Orange insulation. Use the ohmmeter to test resistance across the white wires with the key in the ignition . If the resistance does not match, the wires in the column are broken. You can then either replace the lock cylinder or you can bypass the wiring by placing a resistor across the two white wires. Resistor must match the resistance of the chip in the key.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will check it tomorrow
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.
Dave
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dave
I unplugged the connector and it has ohms when I put the key in but when I turn the key it drops to 0
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
This shows that there is a break in the wire. Either replace the ignition lock cylinder or permanently install a resistor to bypass this feature.