Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech. Expert Witness.
7183013

Pontiac Firebird: I just bought a 2002 firebird v6 3.8L 200hp.

Customer Question

I just bought a 2002 firebird v6 3.8L 200hp. it has been chipped with headers and a flow master exhaust system. The owner has no paper word on the chip. it sounds great and has awesome power for a v6. Can you make a guess on how much horse power it may be putting out now or how could I find out. Any other thought on how I can get anymore HP out of it? What about a turbo? the vehicle only has 80K on it.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
It is making about 200 hp. You see the computer programming is the limit and unless you are willing to have your fuel and spark curves tuned and changed you will only make stock power. You may even have a little less with the exhaust and 'chip' since the computer is not re tuned for that, and the chip just makes it run a touch richer, which hurts power. You could go with a turbo or supercharger, but once again, you must pay someone to retune the computer, and then you are breaking the law if you drive it on the roads, and it won't pass emissions if your state does that. That engine responds really well to both supercharging and turbos, but it all has to be done as a package and will no longer be street legal with that kind of tuning.