Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE since 1980
3506196

Pontiac Bonneville SSEi: is there a separate "unmarked" rela

Customer Question

is there a separate "unmarked" relay for the wiper motor 2001 Bonneville ssei. Wipers and cruise both stopped working at same time. Fuses good. Can't find relay in either BEC
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 1 year ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist
there is relay for the wiper system. the cruise and the wiper share a common power source from the acc fuse in the under hood fuse block. it is a 15 amp fuse. check it with a test light for power on both side with the key on.
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Roy, I followed your instructions:
#2 mini fuse is Accy, fuse is good, swapped w/horn fuse, worked both times. Checked voltage @ #2, w/wiper switch on I get 8.75 volts across fuse connectors. (11.75 volts between firewall side connector, and ground) I switched out #34 micro relay (Accy) with # ***** since I was at BEC. Wipers still not working. Wiper washer pump has worked this whole time, just not wipers. Now what do you suggest?
ok, 8.75 volts is to low. it needs to be battery voltage. is that on both sides of the fuse??
once again, there is no relay for the wipers
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well.., the 8.75 volts is across the fuse connectors, where the fuse would be. Where as if I go from left side fuse connector (nearest firewall) to ground, I get 11.75 volts. I also get 12 volts @ yellow wire to ground, right where harness goes through firewall to wiper assembly (right behind cruise control servo)
Thanks
ok, you have power to the wiper motor switch. see if you have 12 volts to the red wire to the motor with the switch on
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have the wiper motor accessible at this point. I am working from the connectors/harness on the car. I have the bottom cowl of the steering wheel cover off, and can see the harness at the switch. If I tap into the red wire below the wiper switch with my test probe, will that be the same as your recommendation?
Also, to clarify, the washer pump works fine, just no wipers... And the cruise control worked earlier that day.
it will verify that the switch is sending power to the wiper motor. still need to check at the motor.
washer is on different circuit
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is NO red wire to motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never mind!Found it myself. There was no "ground", at the ground wire slot at the connector at the firewall. That is probably the same issue with my Cruise... Won't be using Just Ask again.