sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Pontiac G5 GT: I have a 08 g5 took it to a gm dealer Replaced

Customer Question

I have a 08 g5 took it to a gm dealer Replaced throttle body replaced maf replaced Exhaust and intake cmp solenoid car ran fine for three days then started missing surging at stop lights and shutting off throwing no codes
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also had dealer check injectors and said they were fine
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
There are quite a few things that will cause a rough idle. If there are no codes setting then you should be able to rule out most sensor, the coils, injectors and their wiring.
The problem could be as simple as spark plugs, you may have a fuel quality issue, or there could be a valvetrain issue such as a broken valvespring, worn cam lobe, leaking valve, etc.
Did the problem start shortly after getting fuel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No and it has been a ongoing problem fir over a year doesnt matter if car is warm or cold and will run fine then just start acting up
Why were the other items replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
According to the dealer there were codes before and the codes showed they were bad and they were what was causing the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont.know I would call it a rough idle would call it a surge same with going down the road u can feel like a surge and when u stop feels like its surging or lurching then will shut.off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it sounds crazy thats y anything anyone has suggested I have tried
I'm not sure it's actually a misfire you're feeling.
Do you know what codes were set?
You've checked again since the problem started again and found none?
The engine is dying?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its not a misfire would u rather call me so I can describe it a lil better
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the engine shuts off could it be a computer problem reason I say its not a misfire when its acting.up idling I have pulled plugwires one at a time and u can notice the change also at stop light or sign when it does it if u don't watch will surge u forward
Does the problem only happen when coming to a stop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it will do it when car is idling and sometimes going.down the road while driving
You've physically checked for fault codes after the problem started again and found none?
What P codes were previously set?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes its been checked codes before were
P0010
P2119
P0223
P0106
Does it restart immediately after it dies?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes and when it shuts off going.down the road it cuts back on on its own
Has the dealer not seen that issue happen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They say they can't get it to.do it both times I have had it there its a very frustrating.issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am use to working.on older cars and.figuring problems out.but I am at a loss on this and its aggravating nobody seems to have any idea what's going on
The problem is definitely going to have to be diagnosed at the time it's happening. Based on the description of the symptoms and the fact that no codes are found it leads me to believe the engine controller may be going down, either from a lost power or ground or internal issue.
One thing you might try is start the engine, unplug a sensor and verify the engine light comes on. Plug the sensor back in.
After the problem happens try reading codes and see if the code you set is stored. If not then the PCM lost memory, either due to a lost power or ground or internal failure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks I will.try that and go.from there
You're welcome!