Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
19513769

Car: 2003 Grand am 3.4L V6 History: Car has always had a

Customer Question

Car: 2003 Grand am 3.4L V6
History: Car has always had a Coolant leak since the purchase, normally just keep a bottle in the back and fill it up when need be.
Problem:
Car engine light is on, and there is a constant loud ticking in the upper part of the engine which occurs in rhythm fairly quickly. When given gas the ticking speeds up very fast until rpms are brought back down.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
I am sorry your having this problem
is the noise from the rear of front valve cover ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, Kind of confused by the questions. It is coming off the top of the engine near the 2nd cylinder
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok if the noise is up near the top of the engine and NOT down lower in the oil pan area the odds are there is a broken valve spring and or rocker or pushrod issue
the best bet since its coming from # ***** cylinder is to remove the valve cover for that bank of cylinders and see if anything is loose or broken for # ***** cylinder valve train
the odds are something will be loose or broken in that bank of cylinders
if everything checks out good and there is nothing broken or loose at all including a lifter or pushrod for those banks of cylinders then there is a wrist pin making noise or a bottom end bearing failing causing this noise
but the odds are with the check engine light ON ( more than likely setting a cylinder misfire code )this issue will be a valve train/lifter failure causing this problem