FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Pontiac Grand Prix: I got a 02 Grand Prix the door locks cycle

Customer Question

I got a 02 Grand Prix the door locks cycle the air bag light flashes, stereo stirs off and the headlights surge while driving, now won't start
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Can you tell me if the dash lights are coming on when the key is turned on now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes they do come on and the engine has spark
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Is the engine cranking over fine? Are the dash lights coming on when the key is turned on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any ideas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the icm and key switch still acts the same
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you have an ignition switch issue. This switch is located behind the key switch. This controls the electrical circuits. It can also be a problem with the fuse box. Do you have a voltage meter to run some tests?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes what do I do to test this
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
If the engine is not starting now I would recommend checking the voltage at the fuse box under the hood first. Turn the key on to the run position and tell me what the IGN and PCM fuses read. Also switch the IGN relay in the fuse box under the hood with one of the cooling fan relays. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both ignition fuses read 12v but can't find pcm fuse tried switching relays nothing so far
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the ignition switch also nothing yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this car have a sensor to shutdown if tranny fluid to full
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spray gas in intake and it starts for a bit
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
No, the transmission fluid would not have anything to do with this. Do you hear a buzzing from the fuel pump when you first turn the key on? How about a clicking from the fuel pump relay under the hood when you first try cranking it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already checked the fuel pump by removing the filter and turning on the key and yes it works I checked the relay it sounds good I think the injectors are not turning on
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
It may be the security system shutting the car down. Is the security light on while you are cranking the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it goes out like normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You still think it's the security how do I test that or bypass it to see if that's it don't want to buy anymore unnecessary parts
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
What we need to see is if the injectors are pulsing. You would need a noid light installed in place of the injector. Crank the engine and see if it flashes. Most auto parts sell or loan these out. If it flashes then the security system is fine.