Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as a Tech
7276279

Pontiac Grand Am GT1: Ok, I know this is a common issue, but

Customer Question

Ok, I know this is a common issue, but Idk what to do. I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand AM GT1 3.4 v6. I took it to a mechanic with one of those expensive scanners and the Crank Pos. Sensor P0336 code comes up. It's behind the balancer. The sensor is new. But the car has a rough idle, has a hard time exceeding 70 MPH (GA Speed limits) it will struggle at that speed. I have new plugs, wires, coils, but I'm not sure if there is a misfire and the car doesn't know where so it will throw a crank shaft code? The only thing I can think of is that balancer bad? Or is the timing off? It was like this when I bought the car.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The code P0336 Can be set due to any of the following concerns.
24X Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Ground
24X Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Power
24X Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Signal
Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor
Harmonic Balancer
In order to determine what is failing you are going to need to do some testing. See the test steps in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P0336%20May%2016.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, sorry been working a lot, I messed around with it, had the car on a lift to get the wheel bearing replaced on that side, the sensor is new, the wires are not bare, but I noticed a difference in performance when I pulled the wire a little that's under the exhaust manifold connected to the plug that's plugged into the sensor itself. That's where I think the problem is. But to get to that wire is impossible. I have no idea on that labor cost just to replace a stupid wire.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
If It runs different when you pull on the wire them you likely have a connection concern which should be addressed. Sound like you have at least located the problem.