Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as a Tech
7276279

Pontiac 6000 LE: john - having no start condition with my 1988

Customer Question

john - having no start condition with my 1988 Pontiac 6000 2.8L
Can you assist ?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark, injector pulse, proper fuel pressure (41 to 47 PSI) and good compression. If you can check each one of these things and post back with which one you are lacking I will try and help you get this resolved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - you have provided a generic response. I am looking for a mechanic that has specific experience with the Electronic Spark Control System used on the 1988 Pontiac 2.8L 0 VIN W. . I am an experienced with automotive repair and I am seeking a GM tech that has worked specifically with this vehicle (1988 Pontiac 6000)regards
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
If you can tell me which signal you are loosing I can provide you with the steps to resolve it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had ECM replaced about two months ago because of a no start condition. Engine has been fine ever since. The other day the car just died on the highway. After it died it would not start - cranked but no start, Towed it home and tried to start and it started right up but then shut off after about 10-15 minutes. It seems that one the motor cools down it will start however after running for about 10 minutes it just turns off - no sputter, stumble,etc. - it just cuts out. I went out and purchased all of the most common items that fail for this car with the idea I was just going to "work backward" replacing components until the problem was solved, I was gong to first start with a new ECM (although that was just replaced) and work from there,,,,, I also just now installed new plugs and wires as they were very worn. I also removed and cleaned up all of the ground connections that I could. I was about to begin replacing parts when I discovered an article on one of the Pontiac 6000 clubs that indicated that the 6000's had a common problem that when one of the injectors went on the fritz it would "make the computer go crazy" causing the car to turn off once it reached operating temp. The article went on to recommend that you check the resistance of the injectors to see if you had any bad injectors, So,,,,,, I figured before starting to swap out the ignition parts I'd go ahead and check the resistance of each injector. The article says that "a good" reading for my car is about 11.9 to 12 ohms. Five of my injectors tested out at 11-13 ohms and one tested at 9ohms. I am not sure if this one injector is actually causing a problem. Its a pain in the you know what to pull the injectors out and everything is so brittle (connectors) that I really don't want to mess around replacing the injector unless I have to.
Another reason that I've read that could cause the cut out is a coolant temperature sending a signal to the computer that the temp has reached 250 degrees..... I know where the sensor is but I don't know how to test it. Taking off the plentum was a chore but by doing so I got to the area with the sendor is so it is not a big deal to replace it (except for the cost). So that is where I am now..... the pontiac 6000 has some typical no start issues that I am sure an experienced GM tech can diagnose with me. I hope you are the one !regards
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
I can likely help you but as I have mentioned, I need to know if you are loosing spark or injector pulse and or both or fuel pressure. If you can provide me with which one you are lacking I can help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you read my write-up?
to give you what you are asking for I'd need to start re installing the ignition components.I'd like to make a cal on the injector. Can you please tell me what the exact specs are for my injectors (resistance).
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Individual injector resistance values should be 12.0 ohms or above at 70'F.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - - so I have one that is at 9ohms - do you think I should replace it ?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Yes I would replace it , it being bad would not likely cause the engine to not start and run but because its out of specs then its bad.