Edgar
Edgar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  22 years General Motors Technician, ASE Master Tech certified
71268010

Pontiac 6000 SE: what causes a 1991 pontiac 6000 to jerk and

Customer Question

what causes a 1991 pontiac 6000 to jerk and then stall out while driving or when you try to give it more speed when pressing gas pedal down or when shifting in speed ranges.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Edgar replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today, does the vehicle stalls when you shift from park to reverse or drive at normal operating temperature?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No does not stall when putting in gear. Will rungood starting out and after a little driving will start jerking or when you try to give more gas will stall and when you get around 35-55 and wants to shift it starts.
Expert:  Edgar replied 1 year ago.
The problem that you're having is the torque converter clutch solenoid, is the solenoid that applies the clutch in the torque converter and what is doing is leaving the clutch in the converter applied all the time causing the engine to stall after driving the vehicle for a little time , is like driving a vehicle with manual transmission and if you are coming to a stop if you don't press the clutch pedal the vehicle will stall
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You
Expert:  Edgar replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, let me know if you need anything more