Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

Pontiac Sunfire SE: Will a 96 sunfire 2.2 engine fit in a 02

Customer Question

Will a 96 sunfire 2.2 engine fit in a 02 sunfire 2.2. worryied about transmission not bolting up
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Looking up the info on both of these vehicles if these are both Vin 4 engines the engine and transmissions are different part numbers between the model years but if you have the 4t40e transmission the engine should bolt up to it but you may have to make changes to replacing sensors and wiring from your current vehicle onto the replacement engine and may have to change the engine mounts.In some cases if there is a difference with the engine mechanically the computer may not operate the engine properly,in this case usually the donor vehicles engine harness and computer will be needed.This can take some work to get it to operate and in some cases can be more difficult then it is worth doing.
Thanks Pete