Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

Pontiac Sunfire: 2000 pontiac sunfire 2.2 have no power to

Customer Question

2000 pontiac sunfire 2.2 have no power to the fuel pump
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.
.
Is the fuel pump/injector fuse good? (power on both sides)
.
Is there power at the relay? Also a ground at one terminal?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've checked the fuses an they spear to be good there's two connectors the square one has no power

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Let's use wire coloring for the fuel pump connector. When the key is first turned on, is there any power, (for 2 seconds) at the Gray wire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nope only way I can get it run is I stripped the gray one behind the connector an ran a hot to it an the car will run

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Ok, how many of the terminals at the relay have power all the time and with the key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just one and it is constantly on even with the key off

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Would the security light happen to be on or flashing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No security light has a po452 code which is evap don't think that's it I have no power to my main relay tried jumping the pins in the fuse block an no fuel pump running at all

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
What's strange is that there is power all the time to the relay. They had a lot of issues with the ignition switches on a lot of them back then. Some were recalled for the switches.
.
It could very well be that the ignition switch is not powering the PCM correctly and the PCM not activating the relay. But is powering the relay when the key is off.
.
Here is a diagram that shows how it's supposed to work.
.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jbmz3edw6p5f2i/IG%20sw.gif?dl=0
.
If not the PCM but I would take the steering column cover off and see how the switch looks. A lot of times you can see a burn mark through the white plastic. Also, make sure the screws are tight, they would loosen up sometimes and cause all sorts of problems.
.
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.
Thanks and come again, anytime.
.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Customer Satisfaction and an Excellent Rating are my #1 goals. I would also value having you as a regular customer. Anything else you need I am here to assist you.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Jerry here. I was just wondering how your vehicle was and wanted to see if you may need anything further on it.