Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as a Tech
7276279

No prior issue. Started car this morning. Turned it off,

Customer Question

No prior issue. Started car this morning. Turned it off, returned within 2 minutes and it failed to start. No response at all. Jumped it, drove to work, gages were goofy, all gage lights were on, voltage gage kept moving from 12 to 17 volts and back again. Shut it off at work, again it was dead. Heard buzzing noises, removed a horn relay, to stop one buzz. Got a jump to get back home. Shut it off, again it was dead. Heard a buzz from under the rear seat. Removed seat and fuse relay cover. Stopped noise by removing relay 51, Int. LP. Am bewildered. Car is '02 Pontiac Bonneville, only 46000 miles.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are describing sounds like you have eaither a failing battery and or a charging system concern, low and or erratic voltage will cause all sorts of electrical concern including causing the relay to buzz do to erratic voltage. The place to start is to have the charging system and the battery tested.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Response was so slow that I went out and bought and installed a new battery which seemed to solve the problem and didn't bother to check for a response again until now. Still don't understand how a battery could die so quickly and completely.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

It actually pretty common for a battery to just fail. Over time the plates can become sulfated and they just stop holding a charge. Glad to hear you got it resolved and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time and thank you again.