Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

There I have a 97 grand prix gtp, It starts sec then

Customer Question

Hi there I have a 97 grand prix gtp, It starts for a sec then shuts down and wont start again untill about ten sec later. I can run it off either with out a prob it will sit there and run like a champ. I have changed the crank, cam sensors. I have changed the pcm and had the dealer reflash it to match the vin, they said the pass lock was good and thers no securty light on. When i watch the car on my snap on soloas, i watch the injector pw icon and it shows more volts (which i think it means being theres a pw there) and once the car shuts off the numbers do not come back. but theres power at the injectors. What am i missing
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot the fuel pump has been replaced, the oil pressure switch and the fuel pump relay has been bypassed.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
There is voltage to the injectors as long as the key is in the ON position. The PCM pulses ground to the injectors. On your scan tool, see if you can find a parameter labeled fuel control or something similar. See if it says ENABLED or DISABLED.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I cant find anything that says that, what i got is this, TWC Diag enable----Yes, VTD Fuel Disable------Off, TWC protect----No, Decel Fuel mode-----No, CC Inhibited--------yes, CC engaged-------No. Another ? the motor has has in it, we changed the pressure switch by the oil filter, but it still say low oil on the dash, we know theres a level sensor in the pan we unplugged it no change, we jumped it out no change, will this keep this car from running as well, On my computer it shows low oil as Yes.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was suppost to say it has oil in it.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
VTD fuel disable is the one. If it is off then the theft lock system is not shutting down the injectors. The other possibility is a bad ignition control module. Turn key off and disconnect electrical connector to ignition control module (ICM). Connect test light clip to positive battery and turn key on. Repeatedly touch test light probe to the purple wire at the ICM connector. You should hear injectors fire each time. If you do, replace the ignition control module and the problem should be fixed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is that located at in this car? Is that part of the coil pack?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Under the coil packs. Connector is long and has 7mm bolt in the center. Remove the coil packs (2 bolts each) to remove the ICM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok we changed the ICM, still same issue. We used a used one, But My other ? before i go buy a brand new one is can the fact that its still reading low oil level. Can this be Cutting this out so it doesnt run? It has a brand new oil pressure switch. I tried jumping out the oil level sender but the light stays on. And in my scaner its showing low oil level as well?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like the PCM is shutting down the ignition. If you remove the jumper and unplug the oil level sensor, does the scan tool still show low oil level?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes It does, I tried it both ways. Still shows low oil on my scaner
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
The switch opens with low oil level. Placing a jumper across the connector should make the PCM think oil level is okay. Possibly a break in the brown wire between sensor and the PCM. Try grounding the brown wire (Connector 1, Pin 70) right at the PCM to see if the oil level shows okay on the scan tool.