Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

Pontiac sunfire: I have just replaced my timing chain,tensioners

Customer Question

hi I have just replaced my timing chain,tensioners and guides..i put it back together a couple of times and the engine turned over a couple of times and now will not turn over anymore..any suggestions with the crank being set back 360
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi I also wanted to know if the number one piston had to be set at top dead center..thanks.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. If your timing chain/belt had failed and you just installed the new timing components here check the compression on each cylinder.You should have around 110 to 150 psi on each cylinder and they should all be even in compression.If any are 15 psi or lower then the rest of the other cylinders this indicates a compression fault causing this issue here and most likely the cylinder head valves are damaged needing either repaired or replaced to correct this here. If this is or was already checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I was going to change the valves is it just a matter of taking old ones out and replacing new.?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
It all depends on the damage that was done.In some cases the cylinder head needs replaced.If you do have low compression it is best to have the head checked/tested by an engine machine shop as they can tell for sure if it needs replaced or if just the valves can be replaced.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just took everything apart again and the crank only turns half way..pretty sure theres a valve damaged.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If the crank only turned half way and this was with the timing chain in place this does sound like the pistons are hitting the valves and the cylinder head needs removed and checked/tested by an engine machine shop to see if it can be repaired or if it needs replaced completely.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im going to remove the head after work...the oilpan got a hole in it I think after I unloaded the car off of a trailer into my garage..oil poors out when I turn the crank aswell..im going to replace the oilpan and see if the was something preventing the crank being turned over first ..rule that one out
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If your pan is damaged enough to hit the crank or connecting rods this can cause it as well.Let me know what you come up with here when your ready.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ive got half of the head apart..do you think for sure that the oil pan damage can be an option.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just put my finger in the hole and I dont think thats an option
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If the engine oil pan was not pushed up enough to hit the crank or connecting rods then most likely the oil pan is not the cause here and this sounds like one or more bent valves at fault.
Thanks Pete