Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
19513769

Pontiac Sunfire: I have a Pontiac Sunfire 2000 and my

Customer Question

hello I have a Pontiac Sunfire 2000 and my gear shifter is sliding through the gears it's staying in park and I think it might be a linkage problem. I don't know how to go about fixing something like this. I do not know what type of parts I need or where to locate the problem. can you please help?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry your having this problem90 % of the time this is a simple as the shift cable has just popped off the metal shift lever on the top of the transmission under the maser cylinder areausually popping it back on with pliers will correct this problemopen the hood and find the shift cable like this picture where it connects to the transmission and try to pop back on the shift cableif it pops back on you should be fineif by chance it will not pop on then the end of the shift cable is bad and you can either replace the shift cable OR shop around online they sell repair kits to just replace the end of the cable with great directions and from what i have heard very easy to do