Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Pontiac Diagnostics
18617752

Pontiac granprix: would a bad harmonic balancer on a 2003 pontiac

Customer Question

would a bad harmonic balancer on a 2003 pontiac gran prix 3.8 cause one of the coil towers not to fire
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
No. If the Harmonic Balancer is bad, this would generate a P0300-Random Cylinder Misfire, and would effect all the cylinder equally. If there is one coil that is not firing, even when swapped out with another coil that fires in another location, the problem is going to lie in the Ignition Control Module. The ICM is the skinny, flat, metal part that the ignition coils sit atop. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replace the Ignition Control Module. Please remember to do the right thing and leave a rating using the stars at the top right of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A! You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept. If you cannot rate or accept, please reply and let me know!