Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master

Pontiac Grand Am GT: Have a 2001 grand am gt with no heat hoses

Have a 2001 grand am gt with no heat hoses to the heater core are cool when engine is warm. Also what temp should the engine run at running in park it's at 200-210

Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

running in park 200 to 210 is good

when its at idle in park and you let it run long enough will the coolant fan turn on ? how hot will this engine get at idle or when driving

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure temp when fan goes on seen the temp as high as 230. I have heard the the fan run just not sure when it kicks in

ok Mark will the temp get over 230 or almost into the red on the gauge ?

and both heater hoses are cold ?

are both radiator hoses hot or is one radiator hose hot and the other cold to the radiator ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One on driver side of engine real hot but real soft as well the one on the other side warm not nearly as hot.both heater core hoses are cool

Mark the coolant is full ?

will this car get hot to where the needle is almost touching the red on the temp gauge ?

how long ago did you buy the car ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I added coolant just got the car don't know much about it.other then no heat it runs and drivers fine. The fluid was just a top off. It does need to be replaced as it is dirty(old).

ok Mark you have one of 2 problems going on here causing this problem with both those heater hoses cold

1) the heater core is plugged which you can pull off both hoses into the heater hose and with a garden hose flushing it with the hose nozzle pressure back and forth until you see clear water come out and reconnect the hoses this should flush it out

2) ( very common problem for these V/6 engines ) there is a head gasket problem allowing compression to get into the coolant system and actually stop the coolant from being able to flow which will cause this problem

to rule this out at any parts store they sell a chemical test kit called block tester this will test for emission from compression in the coolant if the test shows up positive the head gaskets will need to be changed to correct that problem

Mark its one of the two causing this no heat problem with both heater hoses cold