Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

pontiac vibe: 2004 pontiac vibe car battery was dead due to

2004 pontiac vibe car battery was dead due to dome light on, so they tried jumping it...but cables on one end hooked up wrong... now car wont start..was that way for about 5/6 minutes. car alarm n dome lights still work...
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Your vehicle should have a fusible link in the main power feed wire leading from the battery positive to the under hood fuse box.Inspect the battery cable to locate this fusible link wire and see if it is burned,tug on each end of the wire where this link is located to see if the battery cable stretches or breaks at all.If it does then the fusible link would need replaced to correct this.In some cases the entire battery positive cable leading from the battery to the under hood fuse box may need replaced as some fusible links come with the cable itself.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience: 15 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

so to fix...i have to replace the positive battery cable? or just the positive wire running from battery to the under hood fuse box? will it b in a harness?

Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.
I believe this is the positive wire/cable that runs from the battery to the under hood fuse box.The other positive cable runs from the battery positive to the starter itself and this should be o.k. unless both cables are one piece on this model (my info doesn't tell me if this is the case).If it is all one piece with both of these cables then it would need to be replaced as a cable assembly.

If it isn't then just the cable that runs from the battery positive to the under hood fuse box.Inspect this cable and see if you can locate this fusible link wire as on some models you can purchase this fusible link wire separately and replace it on the cable and not have to replace the whole wire.

Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete