ClayA
ClayA, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ten years experience, ASE Master and Advanced Level Specialist certifications. 2006 Winner National Ford/AAA Student Auto Skills
74704726

Pontiac Vibe: we have issue with a 2009 pontiac vibe... while

we have issue with a 2009 pontiac vibe...

while changing the battery the positive and negative lines arched and blew 3 fuses in the under hood main fuse box and the interior box.

cars running fine only there are no rear lights, break lights (abs indicator is on), no radio, no power windows and locks, the keyless entry doesn't work, and consequently will not release from park (presumably cause the computer doesn't know the break is being depressed).

a master mechanic that was helping us said that it was the "main buss fuse", but searching for that only uncovers a "100A fuse". we want to fix it ourselves rather than take it to the dealer who will charge stupid premium labor..

any wisdom to be offered is welcomed
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  ClayA replied 1 year ago.
Have you replaced the main 100A fuse yet? It bolts into the fuse block under the hood and is the most common cause of this type of issue. If you need help with how to replace it I can also provide that information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess thats kinda the question..

in the main fuse box there is a clear box that has fuses down in there.

there is one nut holding it plus what looks like a clip on each side...

the fuse closest to the grill of the car is the one thats busted/blown..

Expert:  ClayA replied 1 year ago.
Okay, the fuses in the clear box bolt into the fuse block and require partial disassembly of the fuse block to replace. Give me a couple of minutes to post the instructions on the replacement procedure. I think on your car the fuse in question is the 120A alternator fuse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it runs ok though.. its just the dome and lights that are affected.. that sounds weird

Expert:  ClayA replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, I can not find any pictures of the process. This fuse is not meant to be serviced by anybody but the dealer. I have replaced several of these and will give you best description I can.

• Remove the battery.
  • Remove the screws holding the fuse block to the car.
  • Next use a small screwdriver to disengage the U shaped hooks around the perimeter of the fuse box where the top and bottom halves meet. Once you have worked around it slowly pry the two halfs apart.
  • This takes some time and a bit of patience to get apart.

• After this you will be able to remove the bolts that hold the fuse in. They usually requires 8mm and 10mm socket. (Don't worry about the nuts falling out because they are made into the fuse block.)

If you need any further help let me know. I will continue to look for some pictures of the process but have had no luck so far.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can these fuses be easily acquired. advanced seems to not have them

Expert:  ClayA replied 1 year ago.
You can get them from a Toyota dealer. They are the same for the Pontiac Vibe as the Toyota Matrix.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do they just sell to the public?

Expert:  ClayA replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they will sell them over the counter to the public.
ClayA, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Ten years experience, ASE Master and Advanced Level Specialist certifications. 2006 Winner National Ford/AAA Student Auto Skills