Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Pontiac Catalina: We are having a problem getting your site

We are having a problem getting your site to except our card, so I am trying again. Dave Nova is the one we have tried to contact.

Questions: 1-There is a tube which comes from the transmission and goes up the back right side of the engine. It connects to a small canister which appears tobe a filter, from there is a rubber tube that is not currently connected to anything?
2- I have a question about the PCV connection. There are two ports on the intake manifold just forward of the carburetor. One is on the upper plane and goes to the cylinders on the right side, the other is on the lower plane of the manifold and goes to the left cylinder. My question is to which port should the PCV be connected or should it be connected to both ports?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 10 months ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do my best to help you with your Pontiac problem.

Is vacuum line coming from vacuum modulator on the transmission?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I cannot answer that question with certainy. ibelieve the line goes down the right rear of the engine then over the top of the transmission to the right side . I do not believe there is any external fixture on the transmission

Do you know what model transmission you have?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

thanks for your patience, the line in question crosses over to the left side I goofed when I said right. to the best of my knowledge the car is is original and the transmission is what is known as a slimjim that was standard on Catalina for 1963 . It is the 3 speed

The 3 speed Roto Hydramatic (or Slim Jim) transmission did not use a vacuum modulator. The line in question would be a vent hose. The other line from the canister would likely connect to the air filter housing.

There should only be one PCV vacuum line and one PCV valve. This is typically installed in the passenger side valve cover. The drivers side valve cover would have a breather installed. The other vacuum port can be blocked off or connected to a vacuum brake booster.

Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

thanks for your help. I believe I can go from here. for your future use it might be of some help to know that the PCV valve on this particular car plugs into the crankcase at the rear of the intake. I found the transmission number it is P 63 161898

Okay, thanks for the info. I saw some examples where the pcv was routed to the intake manifold and others where it was routed to one of the valve covers (likely where an aftermarket intake had been installed).