ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck,4 years pontiac dealer Tech
10832065

Pontiac Grand Am: What does it mean when the "security" light

What does it mean when the "security" light comes on??
Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

It means the security system does not recognize your key. Does it still run?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am driving down the highway

How long until you are finished your drive?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

about 45 mins

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

about 45 mins....I am traveling across country. Need to get back to Kansas----I am in Virginia

When your drive is over, see if the light remains if you shut off the car and try and restart it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok.

What if it doesn't restart??

Glad to be of help. First, you should check battery, alternator, fuses and IGN relay and check for codes. If security light comes on while driving, there is a circuit malfunction or low voltage. If it doesn't restart, disconnect negative battery cable, wait ten minutes and reconnect. Then try to start. If it fails to start and security light remains on, leave key in run position until security light turns off (10 minutes), turn key off and try to start within 5 seconds observing that security light goes off. If light remains on after 10 minutes you will need to take it to a shop for diagnosis unless you have a bi-directional scanner and are able to diagnose it yourself. The problem could simply be a bad or low battery or bad connections. Make sure battery cables are clean and free of corrossion on both sides of the bolt that screws into the battery. Check to make sure all doors & trunk are fully closed.

ASEMaster35yrs, Pontiac Technician
Experience: ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck,4 years pontiac dealer Tech