Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech. Expert Witness.

Pontiac Grand Am: We have a 2000 v/6 120k mi. nice

We have a 2000 v/6 120k mi. nice well kept car. my daughter moved from portland or. to denver co. now car cuts out sometimes when driving worse if going up-hill.
Do you know when the last time was the fuel filter was changed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She just had that done as thought it was the problem.

That is always a good first step, and often overlooked. If it is recent then we need to find out if it is losing fuel or spark. That vehicle has a tachometer so she can help figure out the problem. She needs to look at the tach as soon as it starts to lose power. If it is losing fuel the tach will be falling slowly as the engine slows down. But if it's losing spark the tach will fall quickly, possibly even before the engine loses power. I suspect fuel, which is probably a bad fuel pump (very common on GM vehicles) but it could be a failing electrical sensor also, like a crankshaft sensor. If she can watch that tachometer, it will narrow it down.