jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certified

Pontiac Bonneville SE: My 94 Bonneville SE 3800 will not crank,

My 94 Bonneville SE 3800 will not crank, when I turn the key it clicks loudly like the solenoid is engaging but I replaced the whole Starter and the problem still persists I have narrowed it down to being something electrical under the hood but not sure if it is a relay or what.

hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you .

ok, first I would see if I can turn the motor over by hand ,if it doesnt then take the belt off and see if you can turn it over by hand ,if it still doesnt turn then you have an engine issue ,but if it turns with the belt off then try starting it with the key ,if you still get a click then on the smaller wire on the starter see if you have 12 volts at that wire when you turn the key to crank .let me know what you find ...jazzmaster ...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I also used my jumper cables to make a bypass hooked them straight to the battery and it turned the starter and engine a little. I will try checking the voltage on the small wire and let you know what I find. I kinda think it's a relay to the starter but my Chilton manual is no help in that department.

ok, check the grounds as well ESP. the one from the battery to the engine block ...jazzmaster

and you said it turned the motor over a little ,did it turn normal or a little and ten stopped ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It turned a little and then stopped, but my jumper cables are a small gage so I suspect there wasn't enough juice running through them to turn the starter properly. Plus I let go quickly because i didn't want to mess any of the electrical systems up if I could keep from it. Someone suggested that it might be the ECM, I suppose that is a possibility but I really hope not.

you need to check the power through that smaller wire at the starter when you are cranking the motor over ..also ,check to see if you have a good ground to the starter.use a meter and see if you are losing ground to the starter ,using the meter see if you have a good hot (bat) to the starter -that is the thick wire at the starter ..

I doubt as it could be the ecm ,,..

but you really need to check those voltages and grounds ..jazzmaster ..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I appriciate your help, just ran out of time to try fixing it on my own. I found a reputable machanic in town who said it may be hydro-locked because of the intake design. How do I make sure you get paid?

you can pay on this post ,yes these have had their share of intake issues as well ...jazzmaster ...