FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH

Pontiac G6 GT: I have a Pontiac g6 gt. Panoramic moonroof wont

Customer Question

My Lamella sunroof (panaramic) for my 2006 pontiac g6 gt dealership said it has a bad track. The dealership for $97 told me the driver side is bound up and won't open. The modules are good and motors are coded to be working alright. How can I get to it to spray it or clean it so maybe it can unbind. Or is there a way to manually slide the sunroof open so I can clean it out and fix it or cheap.

Category: Pontiac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

FIXITMAN :

Hello, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to help you. If I am not online when you are, please allow me time to return. Does the shade still work?

Customer : Yes it still works perfectly fine
Customer : The mechanics don't make any weird noises. It's just budge at all on the left side and only pops into vent mode on the right side
Customer : Won't budge on the left side
Customer : I updated my question with more detail::
Customer : I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT. My Panoramic moonroof has not been able to open for the last year. No dealers around me have any clue on what to look for with my issue. they just give me the oh just buy a new one. I know it's an easy fix I just need to speak with someone who can guide me through an who has seen this same issue. My problem is this: The roof won't open up. The only movement I see happening is only on The passenger side the 1st level panel pops up an inch. When i turn the moonroof dial to Level one (vent mode) it does nothing when i go to level 2 the glass pops up an inch on the passenger side and not on the drivers side. and when i turn the dial to the rest of the levels it does nothing. and to get the passenger side to go back down it takes a few rotations of the dial to get it closed again. the noises it makes is the normal mechanic noises that it usually makes it just womt open. its like its stuck. im willin to dig into it myself i just need guidence. what do I try?
FIXITMAN :

Thank you for the response. Typically this is either a problem with the switch or the control module for the roof. I would recommend removing the switch and testing it with an ohm meter. If you pop off the trim panel around the switch you will be able to remove the switch. I can walk you through testing the resistance of the switch then. If the switch tests fine then I would replace the module.

FIXITMAN :

Are there any other electrical concerns in the vehicle?

Customer : no everything works normal.
Customer : is there a way to reset the moonroof settings.
Customer : let me take off the switch and try that and I will respond after that.
Customer : my personal email isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Customer : i appreciate your advice because this moonroof is the reason I bought the car and ik things can be fixed for cheap and I feel this is a small problem and not a full replacement problem. But let me get back to you after I test the switch
FIXITMAN :

To reset it you can pull the LAMELLA ROOF fuse in the rear fuse panel. Let me know if you pull the switch out.

Customer : Alright so I changed the rear fuses. And took off the switch and am gonna check resistance but what specifically do I look for on ohm meter
Customer : I've checked the contacts I just need details as to what is good or bad.
Customer : The three pin has no contact to anything
Customer : From testing the contact here is what I got
Customer : o- 4,5 closed
Customer : 1- 1,4&1,5&4,5 closed
Customer : 2- 1,4 closed
Customer : 3- 1,2 &1,4 & 2,4 closed
Customer : 4- 1,2 & 1,4 & 1,5 & 2,4& 2,5& 4,5 closed
Customer : Far left is the levels from the switch 0-4 and there was 5 pins tested. 1-5. Please let me know where were at. My email is dbrownpro at gmail
FIXITMAN : Contact 4 is the common contact point so leave one of your test leads there. I need to know what the resistance reading is on #5 when switch to position 1, 1 on position 2 and 2 on position 3 if that makes sense.
Customer : I've checked the resistance on the points you just have and they all end up 0
Customer : Position1 = 4,5=0
Customer : position2. = 4,1= 0
Customer : position 3 = 4,2 = 0
Customer : i have the switch completely out of the car on my kitchen table to make sure I'm testing it correctly
Customer : what should my next steps be are these signs bad?
FIXITMAN : These readings look fine. I would now check the ground connection shown below. Make sure that it is clean and tight. If it is fine then it is either a faulty sunroof control module or the programming in the module has failed. If you know of a shop with a good computer scanner they should be able to reset the programming for you. let me know what you find with the ground.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the ground is fine I tightened it back up but it doesn't work still. Same results as when we started talking. so ill have the module tested and reset. Where do I find it? And where do I order a new one if its busted.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
The module is in the headliner by the sunroof. If you take it to a shop with he right scan tool they can reset the module and clear any codes to see if it will reboot. This is the next best option. If it needs to be replaced it needs to be purchased from the dealer. I hate having to send someone to a shop or to the dealer so let me know if you want me to opt out of the question and allow another expert to try and give you any other information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you feel someone mite have more info then yeah. Cause I need all the info I can get. You have been a great help so far an I will rate you at the top. my last question I guess is what kind if computer scanner do I ask them to use and where would they plug it into. Cause I have the car diagnostics tool at home it tells me if there are any errors in my Carson's I can reset check engine light. It's what I used to check ohm. . Is that the same tool or do dealers only have this scanner?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
You need a computer scanner that installs to the data link connector under the dash. It needs to have the capability to talk with all of the vehicles modules. Most scanners will not be able to do this. If a shop has a scanner like a Snap-On Verus then they will be able to do this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I went to the dealer and for $97 they Said that the drivers side track is found up and that's why it's not opening but the module motors are fine. So basically I need to buy a new track which they are pricing at $1600 would you know of anyone that knows where there is a cheap track I can purchase Because if I can find a used one then they will only charge 200 for labor to put it in or a manufacturer rep number
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
I would shoot for a used one. Try LKQCORP.com. They are one of the biggest and best companies for used parts. Let me know what you find and we can continue from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to the site they do not have any tracks. The guy I spoke with said its a rare car part to find knowi they don't continue to build it into cars and they never really figured it out. The dealership mentioned the drivers side is bound up. Now that doesn't really mean broke . Is there a way to unbound it? The guy on phone from website you gave me said to take it to collision garage. but if you have any ideas on how to unbound the track that would be great. And thankyou
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Short of replacing it what you can do is remove it and try cleaning the track and the cables. This is just about all of the service that can be done on this. You would need to remove the headliner to get the sunroof out and then once it is out if there are any issues with the track being broken then you may not be able to get it back in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you opt out of this question and see if another expert can help me with unbinding the track
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I will opt out. Make sure that you do not rate or respond as the question will then lock out. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So when will I get response from another tech do I had to do anything else?
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. We will continue the search for another professional for you.
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like to keep question up for a little longer. i'll give it another week. thankyou for your help

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Your question is marked high priority and is open to all professionals. We will be in touch with you shortly.
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can You close this question and refund me?