Steve
Steve, ASE L1 Master Technician
Experience:  25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician

Pontiac Grand AM: theft sys light on constant NOT FLASHING

theft sys light on solid ive tried the relearn procedure as well as the 10 minute wait thing, the light IS NOT flashing it stays on constantly and will not turn off, recently had new fuel pump, and fuel pressure regulator installed as the car had sat for around 6 months.  Also I would like to know what Fuse is responsible for the theft system so I could check that.

Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer ! my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to assist you with this problem
so the engine will physically crank over start them shut right off ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it did the first time so i could tell there was just enough fuel in the injectors to go for a second and then it cut out, now it will crank and everything but its not getting any fuel, so it wont turn on now, i can hear the fuel pump working. Im pretty sure it has to be that theft system.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
with a test light disconnect any injector connection you can get to with the key on one terminal should show 12 volts if it does then connect the test light clip to battery power and touch the other terminaland when craking does it blink your test light ? terminal should blink a ground when cranking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's definitely getting power all the components work and I hear it cranking when this first happened I used starter fluid and that ignited, it just sounds like its not getting any gas but ill try what you were saying when I get off of work
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok let me know on the injector pulse

one terminal should be 12 volts and the other should blink a ground when cranking it over

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I got a light on the battery but I have no idea how to test the fuel injectors
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
so connect the test light clip to negative battery cable key on one terminal should show 12 volts then connect the test light clip to positive batter touch the other terminal and crank the engine over does the test light blink when cranking ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The light stays on dim but constant
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
which one is dim the power terminal with the key on or the blinking ground terminal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The test light was dim I'm not sure what you mean by ground terminal
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
one terminal should be 12 volts the other terminal should blink a test light with the test light clip connected to positive battery power when cranking it over
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you please tell me what fuse is in charge of the theft system?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

actually the dash cluster itself is the theft module and if the cluster is lighting up and the gauges working the cluster has power and ground to operate

if it does not have the ground blinking at the injectors and the theft light is on then either the pass lock sensor is bad in the ignition lock case or the dash cluster itself is bad those are the only two things that will cause a theft lock out of the fuel pulse to the injectors

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish I could figure out where the fuel injector is at this engine looks like it is in sideways
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
there is 4 fuel injectors un plug any of the 4 to do that test I saidgraphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok now that I have the fuel injector figured out I don't think I have the right tool you said test light before, and I was told to get something called a circuit tester it has a light in it and that's all it can't tell me volts or anything what's the tool I need to test what you have been asking?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
yes connect one end to negative batter and with the ignition key on one terminal should light it up if it does then connect the end to positive battery and the other end of the tool to the other terminal hold it there and crank the engine over will it blink the light in the tool ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didn't blink it stayed on solid but a bit more dim then when not cranking
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

which the terminal testing for the power or the blinking ground ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the blinking ground is the one on the battery that's the one I was able to try
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

lets see if another expert can help you im missing something here

hang on another expert will reply back to you hang on

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Good morning;
Is this something you intend to fix yourself, or are you just looking for advice on what may be wrong and approximate repair costs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could use some advice from the research I've done it seems like its the darn anti theft device, but I don't know for sure
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

You are indeed having a problem affecting your factory security system.
Your car has a factory security system called Passlock. It is a fairly sophisticated system, involving several electronic components in the car. Basically, it works like this:

Your ignition lock housing contains a signal generator; when you turn the key it sends out a signal over the car's computer network. The signal is received by an electronic module (in your case I believe the body controller is the module involved, but on some models the instrument cluster contains electronics that perform this function). The body controller compares the signal it received to one that was programmed into it's memory previously. If the signals match, the body controller sends out another signal over the network that is received by the car's powertrain control module. When the PCm receives this "start enable" message it then allows operation of the fuel injectors so the engine will start.
If anything at all goes wrong in this sequence of events the result is that the fuel injectors will not operate and the engine will not start for at least 10 minutes. If the fault occurs three times in a row, the fuel injectors are locked out for 30 minutes before any start attempt can be successful.
This is not something you can diagnose or repair yourself at home. To diagnose the problem requires a Tech-2, which is the factory GM scan tool and the only one that can access the security features in the car's electronic modules. All GM dealerships and many independent shops have this equipment, and can easily diagnose and repair this problem for you. passlock faults are pretty common on GM vehicles as they get older, so most GM dealerships stock parts for quick repairs.
I am afraid you will need to take this in to your mechanic to be diagnosed. There are many things you can still fix at home with basic tools, but unfortunately this is not one of them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well thats what i was afraid of but thank you for the explanation one last thing I dont know if you can give me this kind of advice but I think I am going to attempt the product from this site. http://newrockies.com/ it seems like it may solve this problem with whatever i could be having with this particular issue. luckily for me I have a certified GM mechanic in the family so he will install it. I'll Rate on your next response

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
I checked out the web site for the product you want to use. I have no experience with those kinds of add on devices, so i am afraid I cannot give you any kind of informed opinion on it. In the shop I work at we repair the systems to factory original and generally remove any kind of aftermarket add on electronics people may be having problems with instead of installing them.
The cost of the device is about half what a usual repair costs, so if it does work it will save you some money. Perhaps you may want to ask the opinion of the guy who have install it first; perhaps he has seen them before and can give you more meaningful advice in that area.
I wish you success, and hope this resolves the problem you are experiencing!
Steve, ASE L1 Master Technician
Experience: 25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician