Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Pontiac Grand Am GT: My 2000 pontiac grand am has a check engine

My 2000 pontiac grand am has a check engine light on the air conditioner does not work and the fans come on but the car still over heats what could this be.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Pontiac problem.

Don't Forget, the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service, and not this website itself or your vehicle.
.
Have trouble codes been checked in the computer with a scan tool? If so, what are the code numbers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I do not own a scan tool.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Take the car by your local auto parts store and have them check codes for you. Let me know the code numbers and we can go from there. I can give you a much more informed answer with the codes.

Thanks
Dave
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Look forward to hearing back from you.

Dave
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok the car is not pulling any codes but the electric cooling fans do not work service engine soon light is on and it wont start.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

So now the engine will not start, correct? Does the starter engage and crank the engine over?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no it does not

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Is battery fully charged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it is

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Check the Starter relay in the underhood fuse panel. Place your hand on this relay and have someone else turn the key to Start. Do you feel the relay click each time the key is turned to the start position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what does it look like will I be able to feel it from the whole fuse panel or just the relay I do hear something clicking.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Do you get a click from the starter itself on the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it sounded like it. yes

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

If the battery is fully charged and the starter gives a single loud click with the key turned to start, the starter is getting power but is not engaging. This means the starter is bad and should be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I will try that thanks but what about the fan problem and ac

and why would the car not pull any codes at all could the pcm be bad.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Is the check engine light on with the engine running? If so and there are no codes, this would normally indicate a bad PCM. You may want to try a different scan tool, just to be sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It has been checked by to different scan tools and neither one is pulling any codes so I will switch out the pcm do you know where I can buy one online maybe a web site

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Check out ecmdepot.com They can supply you with what you need. Make sure you give them your vin so the replacement can be programmed to your vehicle.

Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification