Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Pontiac Torrent: Hello, Our 2008 Pontiac Torrent battery totally

Our 2008 Pontiac Torrent battery totally discharges at the point where it is impossible to take the key out of the enignition when this happens. We've been having battery problems since the beginning in spring of 2009 (purchased brand new from the dealier in december 2008). The dealer told us the computer was set to keep the battery from starting at temperatures bellow -15 C. Seemed like the problem was solved when we added a battery heater in addition to the motor heater.

But late last spring and again last october, we experienced the problem at it's worst when the battery got so low that the key would'nt come out of the enignition and the weather was easily above 10 C at these times of year.

Can you give us a solution ? Does this call for a Computer Control Unit replacement ? Is it possible to reprogram the computer ?

Cause at this point, our 5 year warranty is over since december and considering we've already been doing everything we can for the last 5 years, we consider we shouldn't have to deal with any expences related to this persting problem that should have been solved during the 5 year warrany period.

Thank you kindly,
Lise XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

Does the battery lose charge while the engine is running or when the vehicle is sitting overnight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The battery loses charge while not in use, but not necessaryilly after sitting overnight. It happened while sitting during an afternoon at work.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. got it! Thanks!

Have you narrowed down the circuit that the battery draw is on?

Would you like a test to help with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would conclude yes cause when it was towed at the dealers in october, they again thoroughly cheked to see what the problem was.

I am looking for additional answers today cause it happened again this afternoon. The weather was - 22 C.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
No problem!

It is not very hard to pinpoint the root cause. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Put a test light between the negative cable and the negative battery terminal. With the key out of the ignition switch and the vehicle just sitting there (make sure the doors are closed) the test light should not light up bright. If it does, there is a draw. Disconnect one fuse at a time until the test light goes out. When it does, you have found the circuit that the draw is on! Here is a hint, a lot of times it is either the dome light, trunk light, glove light or sometimes even the alternator causing the battery to drain when the engine is off.

I hope this helps!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the dealer, we had illiminated the options that lead to other components causing the battery to drain when the engin is off.

Do you have another solution ?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
The only other thing would be simply a bad battery.

It is going to be one of the two.

Either a bad battery or a draw in the system pulling the battery down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The battery has been changed during the 5 year process of finding a solution, but we still have the problem, which leads me to think that this is a computer problem.

I was hoping you'd have a computer solution.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

Again, the battery drains because it is either bad or there is a draw on the battery. Hands down.

YES.. there could be a bad computer on board the vehicle. This does happen from time to time. BUt if this were the case, one of the circuits that you are supposed to be checking (that I recommended) is going to have this battery draw on it because a computer is staying on or powered up.

If this is the case, the computer that is staying awake is usually bad and needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, so as soon as we can, we will do the test you described and then concentrate on the computer.

Many thanks !

L.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
You bet!

I am glad I could help! It has been a pleasure assisting you with all of your questions. Please don't forget to rate my answer as "excellent service" so I get credit for the time and knowledge that I have shared with you.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to use the reply button and I will reply back asap. In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers.

You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and enter your question in the question box on the left hand side of the screen below my profile picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK,

Thank you kindly.

L.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.

Have a great night!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you !

You to !