Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Pontiac Diagnostics

Pontiac Torrent: My car read, "engine hot, turn off A/C" this

My car read, "engine hot, turn off A/C" this cold morning. The temperature gauge is at zero and the fan won't turn off. radiator fluid is fine...
Welcome! I'm Ron Z! Make sure to use Reply if needed! And PLEASE remember to RATE my answer at the end!

Is this the 3.4L or the 3.6L engine?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

3.4 L

Ok. From what you are describing, it sounds like the problem may lie in the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor. This sensor plays a role in fan operation, as well as the Temp gauge operation. So if the fan is remaining on, and the gauge is not functioning properly, yet the engine is not over-heating, more than likely this sensor has failed. Inspect the electrical connector to the sensor for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replacing the ECT Sensor should solve the problem. It's located on the driver's side, rear of the engine (#1 in image below)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Ron! If I can't do it myself, is it safe to drive the 34 miles home so I can get it to a mechanic?

Yes, it's safe to drive the vehicle. As long as the engine is not "really" over-heating, it's just a case of this sensor reporting false readings to the on-board computer (which is setting the "turn engine off" and keeping the fans running). It's actually not that bad of a DIY'er job. Might want to take a look at it. The sensor sells for around $35 and shouldn't take more than an hour to replace.