Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Pontiac Sunfire: 2005 sunfire is the motor an interference

2005 sunfire is the motor an interference motor? IE will a broken timing chain cause bent valves
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Pontiac problem.

Don't Forget, the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service, and not this website itself or your vehicle.

The 2.2 liter engine in the Sunfire is not officially listed as an interference engine. However I have learned through real world experience that if the chain breaks while driving, most of the time there is valve to piston contact and the valves do get bent. You can turn the engine over by hand with a broken or missing chain and there is no contact, but if the chain breaks with the engine running, there will be contact.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You were right 2 sets of intake valves were bent

Glad I could help. Thanks for the update and thanks for using justanswer.