Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
19513769

Pontiac Sunfire: On a 96 sunfire, I am losing brake fluid from

On a 96 sunfire, I am losing brake fluid from the master cylinder. Rear brakes are not working and there are no leaks at the wheels. The car is drive able with front brakes only. Rear shoes and drums are new. Lines are rusted but there are no signs of leaks. Where is fluid going if it's not leaking on the ground?
how much fluid are you loosing in what amount of time ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
4 oz or so after 20 miles
ok and your 100% sure there is NO brake fluid leaking externally fro ANY brake line from the front or rear or under the car? if so loosen the master cylinder and slid it off the brake booster is its very wet behind the master where it meets the booster then the master cylinder is bad as the rear seal is leaking and when they leak bad enough the brake fluid can actually leak into the brake booster if it has leaked into the brake booster it will also need a new brake booster along with the master cylinder
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No fluid anywhere under car or on ground. Will have to check master cylinder and brake booster tomorrow...thanks
anytime.dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer ! you can always get me past through this post for any questions on this cars concern at anytime