Joe
Joe, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  23+ years in the automotive repair business
9843993

Pontiac Bonneville SLE: I have a 2002 Pontiac Bonneville SLE.

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Pontiac Bonneville SLE. Recently the passenger side power windows, power door locks and mirror are not working. Also the drivers side rear power window and door lock are not working. Only the drivers side power window, door lock and mirror works. I have looked for a fuse to replace but did not find one. What is causing the problem?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using just answer! I am here to help you with your problem, so feel free to ask questions until you are satisfied.

This sort of problem can be difficult to trace out, there is not a fuse that only protects one side and not the other. The first place I would look for the problem is the wire harness in the left front door jamb, where it flexes every time the door is opened and closed. 90% of the time this sort of problem is caused by a broken wire in this harness. You will have to cut the rubber boot open to look at the wires.

If there is no broken wires visible, I can send you wire diagrams so the problem can be traced out.

This picture is just an example of what you are looking for.

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Joe,

I checked what I could see of the wire harness between the door and the car frame but did not see any wire problems. Please send the wire diagrams that you mentioned. Also please provide instructions for removing the drivers door panel so that I can inspect both the wiring coming into the door and the connections at the switch control block. Thanks

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
graphicgraphicgraphic
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Here is a how-to for the door panel, it is for the right front door but the procedure is the same for the left.

http://pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=253

Joe, Pontiac Technician
Experience: 23+ years in the automotive repair business
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Joe,

Sorry for the several month delay. This is my sons car and he went away to college with the car and just lived with the problem of the power windows and doors not working. Well, now he is back and we are trying to fix the problem. Since the time I asked the question back on 10/13/2012 we learned that water was leaking into the car and I am wondering if the many wire harnesses under the sopping wet carpet could be causing the problem. He had an inch of water in the back floor board and water in his battery compartment as well as sopping wet front carpet. We put a garden hose on the passenger door window and it appeared that water was coming out the bottom of the door trim. I removed the door trim and noticed that the plastic sheet (located behind the door trim) was no longer bonded at the bottom of the door. Is this a common problem and could it be the cause of all the water inside the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Joe,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Joe,
Because of all the water that is getting into the 2002 Pontiac Bonnevelle SLE, I need to remove the carpet. I am having trouble removing the console so that I can get the front half of the carpet out. I have removed the instrument trim and removed that four bolts holding the console to the dash.
I am stuck at disconnecting the shift cable and shift lock cable from the hardware inside the console. Is there a way to remove the top of the shift handle so as to remove the shift lever cover so as to gain access to the shift cables?
Thanks