Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Pontiac Grand Prix GTP: How much will it cost to replace rear

How much will it cost to replace rear brake lines in a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix? My rear brakes need replacing, is it still possible to just replace the lines?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Why do the rear brakes need to be repolaced or what was reason you were told? Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan,

I would have to try to find my receipt to see if they stated a specific reason, at the time the GM dealership told me that front and rear brakes were very bad with not much left. They said the front brakes were worse so I had those done.

Not sure if I have the receipt here, the car is in the shop for transmission work and it may be in the glovebox.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks or update. The brake lines leaking woudl have nothing to do with the brakes getting worn down so replacing the brake lines would not solve the brakes being worn problem. If brake lines on both sides going to rear brakes need to be replaced about $200 is a fair price and what to expect for having that job done. If you want to wait to get the rear pads done that is fine, they will start making noises once they get real low. So as long as they are not making noise when comming to stops they can wait longer but the brake line is something you want to get fixed asap because a leaking brake line can eventually lead to complete loss of brakes. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank-you so much! I just wasn't sure if the brakes had to be done in order to be able to fix the brake line. Apparently only 1 is leaking but should probably replace both. Thanks for telling me I should hear noises, not sure if the car has squealers but for sure thought I should hear something, especially since they said they were so bad.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

I agree if there is no noise I'd leave it alone, I'd also only replace the leaking brake line, no reason to replace working parts. Let me know how it goes or if you have any questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan,

I took the car and the mechanic brought me in to look at the brake lines when it was up on the hoist. One looked very very rusty and the other one wasn't quite as bad but bad enough. I had them both replaced and it came to $225.00. Thank-you once again for your help. :)