Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Pontiac Grand Prix: engine will not rotate when trying to start

engine will not rotate when trying to start already replace neutral start switch. starter and battery check good.

Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Pontiac problem.

.

Does your key have a security chip in it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes there is a security chip

Remove glove box and look above it in the dash. There you will see the theft deterrent module and relay. Unplug the relay and jumper the thick yellow and purple wires together, then try starting the engine. It will likely start and then stall. Let me know what it does.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It started and then stall

That is what I suspected would happen This means the theft deterrent module is shutting down the starter and fuel injector controls. The common problem is breakage of the wires coming off the igntion lock cylinder. These wires carry the signal from the chip in the key to the antitheft module. The fix is either to replace the ignition lock cylinder, or to bypass the wiring with a resistor as shown in the diagram below.

graphic

graphic