Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

My Pontiac G6 Won't Start.

My car will not start, or even turn over. I can hear the starter relay clicking but not the starter solenoid. When I turn the key on, I get all the power for lights, radio, and gages. The security lights blink like normal and then go out after a couple seconds.

When it makes a multiple click, that usually means the battery has failed and a jump will not help a bad battery. You can use a voltmeter to monitor battery voltage while trying to start, if it drops below 11v, this means battery needs to be replaced. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay. I have changed the battery with no help. Still no crank or start. Double checked all the fuses, nothing blown.

You still hear starter relay clicking? A single click or multiple clicks?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Starter relay still clicks, starter solenoid does not click.

Check 30 amp starter fuse in location 26 under hood. Also swap out starter relay with another relay to see if that helps. If not verify if starter has constant voltage on one terminal. If so then it sounds like purple wire that goes between relay and starter is damaged. Here is a wire diagram of system to help with testing. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, I tried checking the wires. All of them checked out resistance. Went to check voltage at the solenoid wire (purple) on the starter, car started. So far cannot duplicate starting problem.

At least its starting for now so that's good. Let me know if you run into questions when you are able to test again. Thanks.