proautotech, Pontiac Mechanic
Experience:  Schooling,Current Lead Shop foreman

Pontiac Bonneville SE: i lost my keys,changed steering colums,but

Customer Question

i lost my keys,changed steering colums,but security system is not letting car do you bypass sys.or enable S I R system so car will run.98 Bonneville.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  proautotech replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for trusting us with your problem. I have trained in the automotive field and currently work as a shop foreman. I will be helping you today.

First thing make sure the battery is above 12v

Next you need to do the 30 minute relearn procedure. If it will not take you will have no other option but to have the system programmed with the GM handheld scan tool

Passlock III Relearn Procedure

30-Minute Relearn Procedure

Use this procedure after replacing any of the following components:

• The PASS-Key III plus keys
  • The theft deterrent module (TDM)
  • The powertrain control module (PCM)

This procedure is not available on vehicles equipped with EXPORT configured TDMs.

• When performing the 30-minute relearn procedure, all previously learned keys will be erased from the TDM memory. Additional keys may be learned after performing the relearn procedure.

When replacing a TDM with a GM SPO Replacement Part, ensure the procedure to setup a new TDM is performed prior to the 30-Minute Relearn Procedure.

1. With a master vehicle key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

2. Observe the security indicator. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.

3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

5. ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. With a master vehicle key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and/or the ECM has now learned the fuel continue password.

7. If additional keys are required to be learned, continue to step 7.

8. With a previously learned master key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

9. Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.

10. Within 10 seconds insert the key to be learned. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. The vehicle has now learned the new key.