zzdaryl
zzdaryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

Pontiac Grand AM GT: 2000 Pontiac Grand AM GT: Security light

Customer Question

2000 Pontiac Grand AM GT: Security light coming on and off intermittently. Several times over last year or two, car just will not start with the light on. Had to mechanic several times, cannot tell me what is wrong. Tonight would not start again. Believe it or not, (surely must be my imagination) rocking the car just a little and it has started in the past. Did not work tonight; I grabbed the floor mounted shifter in discuss, while it was of course in park; just shook it, hit the ignition, car started right up. Any thoughts on my problem?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 2 years ago.
It could be either the ignition switch or the range sensor/neutral safety switch. It is impossible to know without some testing and it would need to be failing when doing the testing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you mean, when the car will not start? Or just when the security light is on. Am I to assume, the Range Sensor Neutral Switch is in the shifter or some where in that area. Your dealing with a person who knows nothing about cars!!
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 2 years ago.
If the security light is coming on and off intermittently this problem may not be related to the light coming on but if the security light is only coming on when it will not start the ignition lock cylinder is the most common cause. if the security light is not always on when it will not start the ignition switch(is behind the ignition lock cylinder) or the range sensor(its located on the top of the transmission near the shift cable).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still need more help; i'm little confused either with your verbage or puncutation; and that is fine, I appreciate your help. Lately, the security light has been coming on and off intermittently and the car was starting fine, probably the last week or so. But tonight car just would not start. I ""think"" a few years back the mechanic did in fact do something with the cylinder. But!!! if that was a few years back, can that switch or whatever go bad again? !! I read your note that it sounds more like the cylinder than the range sensor. Thanks for being patient with me. , ,Do you mean, when the car will not start? Or just when the security light is on. Am I to assume, the Range Sensor Neutral Switch is in the shifter or some where in that area. Your dealing with a person who knows nothing about cars!!
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 2 years ago.
Ok the Range Sensor Neutral Switch is located on the transmission where the shifting cable connects to the transmission. This is kind of a confusing issue but if the security light is just coming on intermittently and not only when it will not start it is probably not why it is not starting at times and the ignition lock cylinder where the key goes in is probably not the cause of your problem. There is switch behind the ignition lock cylinder that is called a ignition switch it is what controls all of the electrical parts of the ignition it or the range sensor/neutral safety switch is more likely the cause of this if it started after you "Shook" the shifter and then it started. Hope this helps.
zzdaryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help. Going to pass your info along to my mechanic or my car dealership that I work part time for: just as a driver. May I suggest something to you? People contacting you; such as myself; may know nothing about cars; as I. But you missed a lot of punctuations and comma's and periods, capitalization and what ever; you should try to work on improving that. Not being critical, I'm the same way,by no means an english teacher. But when dealing with the public; you must ""reduce"" it to simplicity and clarity! One question you did not answer clearly was: "if this part was replaced a few years ago, has it worn out already or gone bad?"" thanks for your help, been most informative, will give you a very good rating for whatever that is worth. , , Still need more help; i'm little confused either with your verbage or puncutation; and that is fine, I appreciate your help. Lately, the security light has been coming on and off intermittently and the car was starting fine, probably the last week or so. But tonight car just would not start. I ""think"" a few years back the mechanic did in fact do something with the cylinder. But!!! if that was a few years back, can that switch or whatever go bad again? !! I read your note that it sounds more like the cylinder than the range sensor. Thanks for being patient with me. , ,Do you mean, when the car will not start? Or just when the security light is on. Am I to assume, the Range Sensor Neutral Switch is in the shifter or some where in that area. Your dealing with a person who knows nothing about cars!!
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 2 years ago.
Sorry if you believe my writing is not up to par but I have taken writing classes and have received 4.0 in those classes so I believe it is at least adequate. As for my explanation I really do not know how I can make it more simple but if you want to ask very specific questions maybe I can help. I do believe if you are showing this info to a professional they will know what I am saying and if you are not doing the repairs that should work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The response via the web site and how it is set up sucks, don't particular care if you like that or not. I waited till the next day after your conversations or responses did not come through in a timely manner. Your last response to me, which I have read, "the following day"" shows me you are truly an individual with thin skin and very poor customer relations. If you recieve 4.0 on your writing skills, ( of which I have none) than your teachers must be 2nd or 3rd graders. Once I complete this message, I am praying an evaluation of some sort pops up; to which I can reply; expertise 10; childish comments -10.
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 2 years ago.
Sorry you think that way I was just giving you the facts I was not trying to make any kind of childish comments. My teachers seemed to know what they were doing and my wife is a high school English teacher and she seems to think my writing is good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have her check your notes back to me; if above a D +, perhaps your school system needs some review and how they grade individuals.
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 2 years ago.
Ok, will do. I hope you have good luck with the repair of your vehicle, if you need more help let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not a prayer; will sell the car before I come back to this web site given individuals such as yourself. You must learn something that I gave a lesson to: an individual salesman at Lowe's when he made a childish comment. I told him; ""I am profit, he ""was"" overhead. We must always learn, and I say ""we""; who is profit and who is over head. You must remember; your overhead. Please do not respond, way to much time wasted already. I ran the problem past one of our service writers this morning: his truthful comment was that year and later year are known for the exact same problem. Dummy me, why was he on vacation before I spent $27.00.
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 2 years ago.
Ok, well thanks for asking.